Here is a comprehensive list of books and online resources on the following topics: Third Culture Kids, expats and accompanying spouses, bilingualism and language, understanding cultural differences, asylum seekers and refugees, immigration in general, and Sweden.
- Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds, Revised Edition by David Pollock and Ruth van Reken
- Raising Global Nomads: Parenting Abroad in an On-Demand World by Robin Pascoe
- Unrooted Childhoods: Memoirs of Growing Up Global by Faith Eidse and Nina Sichel (eds.)
- Home Keeps Moving by Heidi Sand-Hart
- The End of Belonging: Untold stories of leaving home and the psychology of global relocation by Greg A Madison
- TCK World: the official website of Third Culture Kids by Ruth van Reken
- TCKid: a place for Third Culture Kids to share stories and meet friends
- Drei Culturen: An excellent blog about all things TCK
- In Culture Parent: for parents raising global citizens
- Denizen Magazine: For Third Culture Kids
I’ve written here about my experiences as an accompanying spouse.
- A Career in Your Suitcase – A Practical Guide to Creating Meaningful Work… Anywhere
- A Portable Identity: A Woman’s Guide to Maintaining a Sense of Self While Moving Overseas by Debra R. Bryson
- A Broad Abroad: The Expat Wife’s Guide to Successful Living Abroad by Robin Pascoe
Books about life overseas
- Diplomatic Baggage: The Adventures of a Trailing Spouse by Brigid Keenan
- A Country in the Moon: Travels in Search of the Heart of Poland by Michael Moran
- Swiss Watching: Inside the Land of Milk and Money by Diccon Bewes
- Expat: Women’s True Tales of Life Abroad by Christina Henry De Tessan
- A list of English news providers in Europe.
- HSBC expat explorer: filled with country specific information. I find the country experience section particularly useful with information on language, making local friends, healthcare, and so on.
- Expat Blog: expat blogs from all around the world – I have lost hours of my life browsing these pages.
- Expat women: resources, blogs, interviews, articles and guides written by and for expat women.
- Raising a Bilingual Child (Living Language Series) by Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
- A Parents’ & Teachers’ Guide To Bilingualism: Third Edition (Parents’ and Teachers’ Guides) by Colin Baker
- Language Strategies For Bilingual Family: The one-parent-one-language Approach (Parents’ and Teachers’ Guides) by Suzanne Barron-Hauwaert
- Growing Up with Two Languages: A Practical Guide for the Bilingual Family by Una Cunningham
- Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World by Nicholas Ostler
- Through the Language Glass: Why the World Looks Different in Other Languages by Guy Deutscher
- Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything by David Bellos
- The Untranslatables: The Most Intriguing Words from Around the World by C. J Moore
- On raising bilingual children: an excellent website written by a Canadian ESL and bilingualism professional in the Netherlands.
- Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, Third Edition by Geert Hofstede, Gert Jan Hofstede and Michael Minkov
- Human Cargo: A Journey Among Refugees by Caroline Moorehead. I can’t recommend this book highly enough for anyone with an interest in asylum seekers and refugees.
- The Age of Migration, Fourth Edition: International Population Movements in the Modern World by Stephen Castles.
- Exceptional People: How Migration Shaped Our World and Will Define Our Future by Ian Goldin
- The European Migration Network has detailed annual reports for changes in migration policy by European country. Release dates are around April the following year.
- The Migration Integration Policy Index (MIPEX) – a tool to compare and improve integration policy.
- Fishing in Utopia: Sweden and the Future that Disappeared by Andrew Brown. A beautifully written book by a British journalist who lived in Sweden during the 70s, and his observations of the country then and now.
- The Rough Guide to Sweden
- Cultureshock! Sweden (Cultureshock Sweden: A Survival Guide to Customs & Etiquette)